Saturday, May 30, 2009

First Big Scare as a "Mom"

So Thursday, May 28 we took Memphis to see the vet.  We just wanted to have him looked over to make sure everything was ok and to get him on Frontline for the fleas.  When I filled out the paperwork I put that he was about 6 months old, because that's what we were told.  However, when the vet looked at his teeth he said he guessed that he was closer to 5 or 5 1/2 months old.  So because we weren't exactly sure of his age, the vet said that he wanted to make sure that he was current with one particular vaccine.  So we had him give it to Memphis.  He told us that he looked healthy and strong and was very pleased.  So we went home and Nate left for work.  

Later that evening I noticed that Memphis had green boogers coming out of his nose, which I thought was kind of weird.  The vet was closed by this time so I called the animal hospital they refer their patients to for after hours care.  They told me that they wanted to see him so I asked Kate if she could take me.  When we got there the vet checked him out and said that he had an upper respiratory infection.  So he gave him an antibiotic, a pain killer (he was really sore from his previous vaccination), and one other shot.  He told me that Memphis would be really tired and would probably sleep all night (which I was excited about since he NEVER sleeps at night!).  

On our way home he was laying on my lap.  I looked down at him and realized he was panting really hard and was drooling all over himself.  He was laying on his front paws and they were completely soaked with slobber.  I was a little concerned so we turned up the AC, but I figured he was probably just hot and thirsty.  By the time we got home (it was about a 35 minute drive) he was really limp and totally not himself.  I went into my apartment and Kate left to go meet some people for dinner.  I sat down on my bed with him and noticed that he was breathing really funny.  He was totally weezing, he was non-responsive and was limp like a noodle.  He was almost lifeless.  They had told me he'd be really tired, but this just didn't seem right to me.  So I freaked out and called Nate and was trying so hard not to totally lose it.  He rushed home so that we could take Memphis back to the hospital.  

By the time he got home I was totally freaking out and I was hysterical.  He took Memphis from me and I just laid down and cried.  He called the hospital and they said that we could bring him back if we wanted to.  After a little bit we both decided that he seemed to be doing better.  We stayed up with him for a while to make sure he was ok.  I slept next to him on the couch and like most moms with sick kids I hardly slept at all.  I woke up to every little noise and was constantly checking to see if he was breathing.  

By the next morning he was much more responsive and seemed to be doing a lot better.  He still has a boogery nose and a little cough, but overall he's doing much better.  That was such a scary experience for me!  I can't believe how much I love him after such a short amount of time.  He drives me crazy sometimes, but I don't know what I'd do without him.  

No comments: