Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Waiting Impatiently For My Puppy

So, I've decided to go ahead and name my puppy Memphis!  I just think it's a fun name!  I am hoping that we will be able to pick him up the middle of next week!  We were supposed to pick him up on Mother's Day but he ended up getting Kennel Cough.  It's generally not a really serious thing, but they took him to the vet on Monday and put him on some medication.  They just want to make sure he's in good health before they let him go, which is understandable.

So, to give you a little more info on the puppy-he's 5 months old and Nate says he's a mix between a Silky and a Yorkie.  We are actually adopting him from an animal rescue shelter.  They took him from a breeder a few weeks ago.  With the economy the way it is a lot of people are breeding dogs but then have a really hard time selling them.  Then they start running out of money to take care of them.  That's what happened with this particular case.  From what I understand he wasn't in a terrible environment.  The shelter took him and a few other dogs, but left some there too.  They just really needed help taking care of them.  At first I wasn't very excited about not getting the puppy directly from a breeder, but the more I've thought about it the more excited I am to get him from the shelter!  I just think it will be so great to get a puppy that probably hasn't had the love and attention that it's longing for.  I will love him so much and give him the best life possible!  Each day I get more and more excited to go and pick him up!

I've bought him a few things so far!  I can't wait to go and get the rest, but here is a pic of the things I have so far:

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's going to your and Nate's first child! I am so excited for you :)

Natasha said...

I'm proud of you getting a puppy from a shelter! In my mind it's the only way to go! Can't wait to see what he looks like, i'm not sure what a silky is

The Moffett's said...

Haha ya he's gonna be my baby! I'm so excited I can hardly stand it! I will post pics ASAP! From what I know, I think a silky is pretty much just like a Yorkie. I didn't even think there was a difference in them, but then again I don't know a lot about different breeds, lol. But ya, I'm glad I decided to get him! When Nate told me he was from a shelter I wanted to start looking for a different one, but I just couldn't do it :-)

*ALi* said...

I agree with Tashi, getting an animal from the shelter is the way to go! It's like you are saving them. But you lucked out cause your dog is from a breeder so you get the bred dog from the shelter! A lot less expensive and better for the world lol.

The Moffett's said...

Haha yep I sure did luck out! I am really happy I get to help him out :-)