Wednesday, June 24, 2009

RIP "Grandma Jonathan"

So, this past week was not a great one.  My grandma passed away on Friday.  She was diagnosed with Thyroid cancer only 2 weeks prior to her death.  It all happened so fast none of us were ready for it.  The funeral was today and unfortunately, I was unable to fly home for it.  It was really hard realizing that I was going to have to miss my own grandma's funeral, but there was just no way we could make it work.  

She was actually my mom's aunt (her mom's sister), which technically makes her my great aunt, but my mom lived with her for a while when she was growing up.  She was more of a mom to her and a grandma to me.  I love her so much and even though we're all so sad that she's gone, we're so happy that she's finally with my grandpa and her parents again.  She left behind 4 children and many grandchildren and great-grandchildren.  We will all miss her very much.  

Every Christmas Eve since before I was born, our family would get together for our family party.  She would always play Christmas carols on the piano and we'd all sing along.  She absolutely loved playing the piano and was really good at it!  I've never had a single  Christmas Eve without her.  Christmas Eve will never be the same without her.  But even though she's gone, I know that she will always be with us in spirit.  We love you and miss you Grandma!  We will never forget all the wonderful memories you've left for us.

2 comments:

*ALi* said...

oh, I am sorry to hear, she sounds like a wonderful lady. It is too bad you couldn't make it back for her funeral :( I know that must've been hard.

The Moffett's said...

She was wonderful! It was hard not being able to go home, but it's ok. I survived :-) She knows how much I love her and would've loved to have been there but I know that she understands our circumstances.